Black mushrooms stuffed with baby marrows, garlic and feta
Nicolette van Niekerk10th May 2014
I am not always in the mood for baking, in fact, I actually studied Culinary Art and gourmet cooking, so before I could bake, I could cook.Today, I long for comfort food.It’s cold and rainy here in Cape Town and although this would make an excellent accompanied dish for a barbeque “braaivleis”, tonight we are eating this with lamb chops, grilled in the oven and served with a fresh salad. An entrée or starter on it’s own, this would be great to begin a meal with as well.
Here we go…vegetable portions for the day…check!
Black Mushrooms stuffed with Baby Marrows, Garlic and Feta Cheese
by Nicolette van Niekerk
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20 Minutes
6 Large Black Mushrooms
500g Grated Baby Marrow
2 Medium Onions (Chopped finely)
2 tsp Garlic paste
2 Wheels of Feta cheese
Grinded Black Pepper and Salt to taste
1 tsp Rosemary (dried)
15ml Lemon Juice
15ml Olive oil
250ml Double thick Cream / Greek Yogurt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Wash and prepare the black mushrooms by cutting the stem on each shorter and scraping the inside of each mushroom to make space for the filling.Each mushroom’s skin can also be taken off on the outside, as this allows the mushroom to shrink.Without the skin it will keep it’s shape.But you may leave it on as well should you wish to.
3. Grate the raw baby marrow, and mix with the chopped onions, garlic paste, crumbled feta cheese, salt, pepper and rosemary.Drizzle the lemon juice and olive oil over the filling.
4. Place the mixture into each mushroom and on a baking pan, place them in the oven for about 20 – 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
5. Take them out of the oven and place one tablespoon of yogurt / double thick cream on each before serving to your guests.