I have to confess.I needed these images for another article I was busy working on and because I was after the deep-purple hues of the ice cream, decided to make it in Blueberry flavour. I would love to share this recipe though as it really is such a tasteful ice cream to have even when it’s chilly outside.
Enjoy with a drizzle of honey and crushed pecans to add a bit of a “crunch”.
Blueberry and Honey Ice Cream by Nicolette van NiekerkIngredients
250ml Full Cream Milk
2 Medium Eggs
450ml Whipping Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
250g Fresh Blueberries
1. Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Be careful to not let the milk boil.
2. Whisk the eggs and honey together until well mixed.
3. Whisk in the hot milk into the egg mixture.Make sure the milk trickles onto the mixture so that it doesn’t “cook” the eggs.
4. Return to the stove and allow to heat while stirring continuously until it thickens.
5. Remove from the stove, allow to cool on room temperature and then add the cream and vanilla into the mixture.
6. Prepare the blueberry mixture by pulverizing them in a blender.Keep a few aside for decoration.
7. Add the blueberries and chill the ice cream mixture for at least 8 hours before adding to the Ice Cream maker.
For a variation, strawberries can be used.
Serve with crushed pecans and a swirl of honey on top.