I have made this recipe probably hundreds and hundreds of times. Before it use to be a very famous family Chocolate dessert cake recipe and I will one day share that one with you too, but in the meantime, this Chocolate Cake recipe must be my favourite and with a coffee cream, really is the Hero of the day!
It gets richer and more moist everyday and to eat it by day two or three isn’t wrong at all, in fact I think you should let it rest until then. I created the coffee cream to accompany it.
Do enjoy and indulge in this cake for at least another day or two!
Chocolate Cake with Coffee CreamPreparation time: 20 minutesBaking time: 35 – 45 minutesMakes a 20 cm 2 layered cake
*To create a 4 layered cake.The batter will have to doubled and each cake sliced through once.
1 ¾ cup (437.5ml) Sugar
¾ cup (187.5g) Margarine
3 Large eggs
4 tbsp Cocoa powder
150 ml Hot water
200 ml Milk
30 ml Lemon juice
2 ¼ cup (562.5ml) Cake flour
¾ tsp Baking Powder
1 ¼ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃.Prepare a 10″ or 25cm pan by greasing them well with butter.
2. In a separate cup, mix milk and lemon juice together,enabling it to curdle and go sour.Let it stand for about 15 minutes before use.
3. Add the hot water (not boiling) and cocoa together in a cup and let cool down.
4. Cream the margarine and sugar together in a large bowl.
5. Beat together the eggs one by one into the sugar mixture until light and fluffy.
6. Add the cooled Cocoa mixture to the rest of the batter and mix in well.
7. Sift in the dry ingredients, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
8. Beat the mixture until a stiff batter, add the milk and the vanilla and beat again until all the ingredients is mixed in well.
9. Scoop the mixture inside the pan until ¾ full.Bake at 180℃ for 35 – 45min or until firm to touch.
10. Let the cake cool down completely before the filling is added.
250ml Fresh Cream
80g (90ml) Soft Butter
260g (500ml) Powdered (Icing) Sugar
60ml Strong Coffee (Prepare with 30ml of Coffee granules and 30ml of hot water -mix to form a paste)
** Beat the soft butter and icing sugar and coffee in a bowl until combined.Whip the cream separately until stiff peak consistency and fold gently into the icing sugar mixture.
How to assemble:
1. Bake two 10″ cakes and slice them each in half to have 4 layers of Chocolate Cake.
2. Place the first layer onto a cake board and make it more sturdy by placing a dollop of icing underneath the cake so it won’t glide off.
3. Take a 1/4 of the mixture and start to fill the cake but be careful not to go too near to the edges of the cake , keeping about 1 cm without icing.(The weight of the cake layers will eventually push the rest of the filling to the sides and won’t overspil making it look untidy).
4. Repeat this action until you’ve reached the last layer.Glaze a thin amount of cream on top.
5. With a warm knife, hold the knife flat against the cake in a horizontal angle.Glide the knife against the cream,each layer at a time and try to get the cream to be levelled and neat on the sides.Scrape off any excess cream that tries might come out.
6. Sift a small amount of cocoa/ coffee powder over the cream just before serving the cake.
Serve with frothy Cappuccino or shot of Espresso.