Look, Gluten-free cupcakes have never been THIS delicious. I can not get enough of experimenting with these products. I absolutely not only love the challenges it gives us (surprisingly easy) but the taste is not as tasteless as I always thought it would be…Our Orange,hazelnut (and a drizzle of honey) cupcakes are made with sorghum flour and potato starch,making them gluten-free and also dairy free!
Should you want to make them vegan (oh and it’s possible), replace the egg with an egg-replacing powder by adding 1 tablespoon of powder to 1 whole egg.Egg replacers can be found at our local health shops and when used, just remember to add a bit of water with before adding it to the batter.
A wonderful online shopping store that is available is Fresh Earth Food Store.They deliver almost everywhere in South Africa and have a wide variety of health products.
Orange, Honey and Hazelnut Gluten-free Cupcakes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Serves: 10 – 12
Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with parchment or paper liners.
178ml cup sorghum flour
178ml potato starch (not the same as potato flour)
5ml baking powder
2ml baking soda
3ml xanthan gum
2 tsp. fresh orange zest
10tbsp light olive oil or vegetable oil
1 tbsp. Honey
230ml fresh squeezed orange juice at room temperature
1 Egg (or 1 tbsp egg replacer)
2 tsp. vanilla
1. Combine together the flours and the rest of the dry ingredients.
2. Add in the orange zest, egg, oil, vanilla and orange juice. Beat the batter for a full two to three minutes until light and fluffy.
3. When working with gluten-free batter you will find the batter to “climbs” the beaters due to the gum added into the recipe. Lift the beaters up and allow the batter to fall back into the bowl.
3. Scoop the batter into the cups and smooth the tops (how you scoop them inside the wrapper,is how they will turn out,so make sure they are neat and not lob sided) .
4. Bake in the centre of a preheated oven till done- about 20 minutes or so.
5. Cool the cupcakes on a wire cooling rack.
6. Only decorate them when completely cooled.
See the recipe below for the Orange and Honey cream icing.
Orange, Honey and Hazelnut Cream Icing
250ml (Sifted Icing /confectioner sugar)
250g White Margarine (room temperature)
125ml Fresh Cream
50g Hazelnuts (crushed and some whole)
Cream together the margarine and icing sugar in a bowl.
Beat the cream to soft peaks and fold into in the sugar mixture.
Add the zest, hazelnuts (crushed) and honey and mix well.
* Pipe swirls of icing onto the cupcakes; decorate with whole hazelnuts, a drizzle of honey (if you like) and orange zest.