Small Chocolate Berry CakesSmall Chocolate Berry Cakes Preparation Time: 30 minutes Serves: 6 – 8 Ingredients: Cake: 1 Standard Chocolate Cake baked in a flat cake tin. Get the recipe here. Strawberry Coulis and Blueberry Coulis: 300g Strawberries 150g Blueberries * 30g Icing Sugar Toppings for decoration: Blackberries Raspberries Blueberries Pomegranate Spun sugar for decoration 100g Castor Sugar Instructions:
- Use a moist Chocolate Cake recipe to bake 1 layer of chocolate cake. Cut out round circles from the cake to be the correct width of a breakfast punch glass.
- Make the strawberry coulis by adding chopped or halved strawberries to a saucepan on medium heat. Heat them until the juices start to extract from the fruit. Add the icing sugar and stir well. Boil the strawberries for a further 20 minutes until it becomes thick and saucy. Puree them well until smooth.
- Layer the glasses with one layer of chocolate cake, then coulis, another round of cake and coulis to finish.
- Place mixed berries on the top of the small chocolate cake desserts.
- Should you want to, make spun sugar to garnish each dessert. Make it by adding the castor sugar to a saucepan on low – medium heat. Do not add water or stir at this stage. Move the pot around to ensure even distribution of heat. Sugar syrup will appear on the bottom of the pan. Move the pot around until all the sugar crystals has melted or the syrup has reached a temperature of 155°C. Remove the pot from the heat. On a clean smooth surface, use a fork to lift up some of the sugar syrup. Move the fork from side to side over the surface, very quickly to make strands of sugar. Lift the sugar (angel hair) from the surface, be careful not to burn, and bend it while it’s still warm.
- Use the spun sugar to decorate your desserts.
- A blueberry coulis can be made from the same recipe above. Follow the same steps than the Strawberry Coulis.